Monday, October 1, 2012

Conventional wisdom says...

"Conventional wisdom says that your 30th birthday is a milestone.  I don't believe this is true.  Every birthday is a milestone.  Each year brings growth, heartache, joy and wisdom.  Believe me, though, when I say the gathering of years go faster and faster.  Don't try to cram too much into each day, or even week.  Most things turn out to be pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things.  Love your husband, love your family and friends, love your faith and love your country.  These things are what life is intended to be."
 
Love,
Mom
 
 
Last month I celebrated my 30th birthday.  Whew, just saying the number makes me squeal... with delight!  Yes, despite what most people might think, I am thrilled to have reached such a "milestone" in my life.  And, my mother is right.  The years have passed quickly, gaining momentum with each tear, laugh, moment, event, and holiday.  And though the years have started to blur, I hope to never forget these few simple truths I've learned about myself and life.



1- Anyone can make a difference in the life of another.   Be the positive difference.  One day it might just change the world.  Okay, maybe not the whole world, but their world.

2- God provides the things I need; I just have to ask.  In other words, it's okay to admit I can't do life alone.

3- My mom was right... about a lot of things, but mostly that the word "hate" is quite possibly the filthiest word in the English language.  And hearing children say it, makes me cringe.

4- I dance to my own music.  A father-daughter dance doesn't require outdated music, awkward swaying, or excessive tears.  And yes, "Sweet Child o' Mine" by Guns n Roses is absolutely acceptable at a wedding.  Thanks, Dad.



5- Change is inevitable, though not always welcomed.  Some changes are small, creeping up on us and happening before we even realize they've taken place.  Others hit us all at once making us question the foundation on which we stand.  Regardless of the size of impact, change is hard.  We accept what we can and adapt when we can't. 

6-  Know when to end... a fight, a project, an adventure, a friendship.  Actually, this even applies to relationships.  When the excitement is over and you feel exhaustion setting in, pull the plug and call it done!

7- Live fearlessly or at least try.   That means not simply existing from moment to moment, drifting wherever life takes me, but choosing my moments, driving my time, taking some risks, having more fun.

8- Take a leap of faith.  Shortly after we married, I found myself faced with the decision of leaving my career.  The thought of breaking the news to a class of 24 children nearly broke me, but I had made a choice based on faith (and the love of my extremely supportive husband).  Taking a leap requires doing what you think you can't and then never looking back once you jump.  Unless of course, you're taking a peek to see how far you've come.

9-  Glance back at life, but don't stare.  We often hear we should never look back and though I can appreciate one's concern with spending too much time in the past, I believe it's okay to take a glance from time to time. 

10- Be thankful.  “What if you gave someone a gift, and they neglected to thank you for it – would you be likely to give them another? Life is the same way. In order to attract more of the blessings that life has to offer, you must truly appreciate what you already have.” -Ralph Marston  Yup, that pretty much says it all. 

11- Understand that dreams change.  When I was little, I wanted to play professional baseball (for the Yankees).  Shortly after, I realized I lacked what it took to ever become a professional athlete, never mind the fact I was female (Shocker!).  Instead of dismissing my dream, I changed it. I vowed to one day visit Yankee Stadium.  Little did I know, God was already working on making my dreams a reality (no matter how much they had changed throughout the years) and in the summer of 2010, I not only visited, but I was invited to sit in the dugout.  Dreams do come true, just not always in their original forms.

 
12- Never lose your childlike innocence.  All those things that used to make you happy as a kid?  Well, guess what-  they still can!
 


13- Just be you.  Often times I find myself wondering why I don't walk in designer heels, have perfectly pressed blouses from high-end stores, or reach for my check book in my larger than life designer purse with a label the size of Texas which can be recognized a mile away.  But then, I remember that I tend to topple in heels, regardless of the designer, pressed blouses always hang awkwardly, and I can barely find my car keys in my small clutch leading me to believe I'd never find them in a Mary Poppins purse.  My hair's not perfect and my make-up is far from flawless, but I can wear the heck out of some worn-out jeans and cowboy boots!  And you know what?  Those gals with all that glam love me regardless.  My point is... in a world that works so hard to make you just like everyone else... JUST BE YOU!  No one else is more perfect for the job!





2 comments:

  1. I love the way you express yourself. Well thought out, and well written. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've learned so much, it was hard to narrow it down. But, once you draw a line, one must stick with it! :)

      Delete

Follow Me (Not literally- that'd be creepy!)