Friday, May 11, 2012

Playing the name game

This past weekend my husband and I opted to ignore our honey-do lists and instead play golf.  The weather was gorgeous and we figured the majority of people would be out celebrating Cinco de Mayo, leaving the course empty.  Much to our surprise, though we were crossing our fingers, we were right. 

After checking in at the pro shop, we found that we would be playing with a single.  Typically, this makes me nervous.  For one, I still consider myself a beginner.  And secondly, most people are less than thrilled to play with a woman.  Hesitant to introduce myself, I waited instead to be introduced.  Luckily, the gentleman had an ever so slight southern twang and I knew I'd be welcomed.  (Maybe he didn't have the southern drawl, but he sure had the handshake of a man from Texas and a smile of one from the Carolinas.)  After listening to him speak, I knew he was a man who commanded respect.  And so, I gave it to him. 

I complimented his swing, applauded his putts and acknowledged his impeccable short game.  However, the biggest compliment I gave all day was in one simple word, "sir"; immediately giving him the respect he deserved.  It wasn't an attempt to play nice or to catch his attention, it was simply the proper thing to do.  Period.


I'm simply amazed that in today's society, something as simple as the words "sir" and "ma'am" have fallen to the wayside.  Then again, so has "please" and "thank you".  I've read the debates, I've seen the arguments and quite frankly, I don't buy them.  Certainly your intentions are good when you propose that you'll use "sir" and "ma'am" to address authoritative figures or those "demanding more respect", but it's less likely to be used if not inserted in daily dialogue.  And beyond that, everyone deserves your respect, not just authoritative figures.  Isn't that what's wrong with the world, a lack of respect?


In the grand scheme of things, I'll take my chances.  At the end of the day, I'd rather be known for being overly formal and highly respectful than not.   I would prefer to have someone say, "that's not necessary" than to assume I lack manners. Yes ma'am, I'll take manners with a side of please and thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Me (Not literally- that'd be creepy!)