Thursday, February 28, 2013

Sweet Mess

A few years ago, my sister packed what little she had in the home we shared and moved to North Carolina to pursue a second degree.  Suddenly feeling alone, I found myself tying on an apron and learning my way around the kitchen.  Known for setting off the smoke detector while boiling ramen noodles and having to extinguish a grease fire with one of those clunky red extinguishers (true story), I knew it would be challenging.  At the least, it would offer a chuckle or two- things I’d been missing since she left.   
After two years of whipping up meals, I never got called to be on Top Chef.  I’m not sure why they thought my microwaveable meals weren’t Top Chef worthy.  But, since cooking didn’t work for me and I still wanted to wear my apron, I tried my hand at baking.  It wasn’t pretty- still isn’t- but boy did it taste good.  (I didn’t join Weight Watchers just to step on a scale each week!) 
And so, here I am today…  covered in powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and food coloring.  I’m starting to think I enjoy baking because it’s a reflection of my life:  messy, but oh so sweet!
 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Me (Not literally- that'd be creepy!)