Monday, October 22, 2012

Inspire me, Monday

While interviewing for a new job (and possible new career path), I was asked to think about three words that I would use to describe myself.  Certainly, I had done my background research and considered answering with the specific words that would surely secure a position within the company.  I wanted this job.  I needed this job.  I asked for a moment to reflect on the question and in that time several things went through my head.

1- A job does not define who we are, though we tend to think this is true.  It's amazing that after being out of a job for only three months how lost I had felt.  I had associated who I was as a person to my job, losing my identity as I let go of the classroom and packed my bags for the west coast.  The problem is, I hadn't lost who I was. (Hold on and I'll get to that point).
2- I can not be defined by three words. 

As a teacher, I knew to answer the question as it was given.  So, I tossed out three words, three strong words that did infact describe me.  But, I also added something else.

I asked the ladies to entertain the idea that perhaps I could best describe myself through actions, not words.  Looking slightly confused, but intrigued, I continued.  I first began with the story of a cold Christmas in which I had returned with hot cocoa and warm socks for the outdoor cashier at a Home Depot.  I told them of the wine and trash magazines I wrapped up for my neighbor, knowing her husband wouldn't be home for Valentine's Day and I spoke of the funeral I attended for a former student's mother and how upon my arrival, she asked me to sit beside her and hold her hand through the entire thing.  I shared who I was, not what three words boxed me in as.  I shared that who I am is only best described through the things that I do for others, the things I do for myself. 

When I left that interview, I knew I had probably blown my chance.  But, I left knowing, for the first time, that I didn't have to be a teacher anymore.  I just needed to be me.  It was never about the books or the lessons, it was about making a difference.  And I did that- before teaching and well after.  It was always in me and always will be.

So, when people ask me what I do when gathered at my husband's work functions or my charity organization meetings, I'm going to start responding with: "I make a difference".  And I hope, one day, it will inspire others to do the same. 

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I hate having to tell people I'm STILL a full time student at 28 because many people just stare and say "oh, well, that's nice." Nevermind the fact that I already have another degree, I was in the workforce for a few years, and simply decided to change career paths. Instead, the only thing people seem to notice is my age and the idea of a typical student don't go together. But the thing is, I'm not typical, I'm extraordinary and should start to say the same thing to people who also want to know what I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are extraordinary! Don't let society tell you any differently! :)

      Delete

Follow Me (Not literally- that'd be creepy!)