Wednesday, October 24, 2012

He never asked to move mountains...


          The leaves have turned brilliant shades of orange and yellow, reminding us that fall is here.  The darkness comes earlier and mornings are filled with crisp air.  Summer is gone.  The town, painted orange each weekend, is alive again with fans cheering for their local college- UT.  Soon the first snowflakes will drift to the ground, fires will be burned, and families will gather for the holidays.  Life in Knoxville seems as it always has, months steadily passing.

          But for one family, they stand still as the world outside whirls around them, seasons blurring, and time passing too quickly for them to keep up.  For them, the world stopped in August, the day they heard the words no parents ever want to hear.  Their son, Patrick, was diagnosed with Rhabdomyosarcoma, a rare form of cancer.  It was a moment in time, but one that will never be forgotten; a reminder that our lives are not our own. 

Psalm 34:18 - The Lord is near to the brokenhearted, And saves those who are crushed in spirit.

          Seventeen.  That’s the age in which my cousin was diagnosed with cancer.  A senior in high school, his concerns were no longer about what he would do after the year was over, entertaining thoughts of prom, or avoiding the cops at the Friday night parties after the football games, but instead centered on treatments and blood counts.  His life had changed, but Patrick remained the same.  

“Every day another child, another family, another community is affected by cancer.”

-Anonymous

 

          In the south, God is the biggest part of our life.  So, it didn’t surprise me to see a prayer group forming shortly after his diagnosis.  Planned for an afternoon in the local park, an invitation was sent to prayer warriors across his town.  Still under the weather, Patrick was unable to attend.  I waited impatiently by my computer, refreshing his Facebook page, hoping to catch a glimpse of those coming together to pray for him.  What surprised me was the volume of people as pictures began posting.  His sister, Jessica, wrote of the people who didn’t even know him in attendance and the prayers that were being offered.  Prayers that in time, would make a positive difference throughout his journey. 

“The most wasted of all days is one without laughter.”

-e.e. Cummings

 

          Since August, his sister and mother have both been keeping Facebook pages- highlighting improvements and asking for prayers when needed.  I’ve enjoyed reading comments from family and friends and those I’ve never met and probably never will.  I especially enjoyed this post by his mom:

 

Today has been a better day, Praise God! He had a waffle, another grilled cheese, and then ate 2 pcs of thin crust cheese pizza. Teenagers!

I laughed until I cried when I saw this message and then later a picture of him with a fake mustache.  My husband, unsure of what to say or do, just put his arm around me.  It was the first time since I had heard the news that I had considered that he was a teenager.  I had made comments before, “look at the people you’re bringing to God” and “even my atheist friend said she prayed last night”, but suddenly those comments seemed small and insignificant.  Yes, in the south we are about God, but we are also about people.  And his mother’s comment about teenagers, reminded me that though God is moving mountains through Patrick, the only thing he wants, is to be rid of cancer; to be a teenager. 

          And so, Patrick fights not just the cancer, but the everyday battles of being a teenager.  He argues with his parents, steals kisses from his girlfriend, and finds time to be goofy.  He still dreams as big as he ever has, flirts with the nurses, and makes plans for the future.  He eats greasy pizza, shoots guns with the guys, and drives his car fast.  He doesn’t complain, though he has reason to, but instead remains his sweet, southern self. 

Everyone has their inspiration, mine just fights cancer.

          So, Patrick, I write this for you.  Thank you for reminding me that a dirty house isn’t the end of the world, though I almost always tend to think so; for kick-starting my mornings, as my work is more personal because of you; for sharing your stories however hard they may be, inspiring me to be more; and for just being you, reminding me that in this world that’s all we ever need to be.  I pray for your health, your hope, and your faith.  But mostly, I just pray for you.  We love you!
Patrick's High School shows their support.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Me (Not literally- that'd be creepy!)