Sunday, January 27, 2013

Changing your life... one word at a time.


The rain has started here, which means only one thing… winter has officially begun in southern California.  I know. I know.  We have very little, if anything, to be complaining about.  However, in our defense (wait, am I suggesting I’m now one of them?), rain in SoCal is like snow in DC; it requires actual thinking when preparing to dress for the day and an additional 15 minutes for your commute.   In fact, enough rain and you could find yourself out of work for the day (or in my case, skipping a trip to the grocery store) and instead, opting for a good book, an old pair of sweatpants, and a giant cup of hot tea.  Lately, this has been my book of choice:
My One Word: Change Your Life With Just One Word
 
If you haven’t heard of this book (shame on you), then you’re in for a real treat.  Go ahead, grab a cup of tea (or cocoa) and settle in for a few minutes.  This, my darlings, is about to change your life. 
“My One Word”, written by, Mike Ashcroft, is a book for those of us who like the idea of resolutions but feel they always fall short of actually making an impact on our lives.  Though it is written with a religious perspective, it can easily be adapted.  In fact, for some with no or very little religious foundation, it can be the spark that lights a fire.  (You can see for yourself as you take a peek in to my dear friend Emmy’s life and how one word changed it.)
The idea behind the book is as sweet and charming as the small coastal town in which it was written.  Mike Ashcroft, with the help of Rachel Olsen (on faculty at UNCW- a little shout out for my alma mater!!) have written, what I would consider a guide, to becoming more like the person you aspire to be and with just ONE step.  Their light-hearted and witty approach keeps you engaged and focused on making a resolution to change your life (and those around you) and then keeping it.   
So, grab your Kindle, head to Barnes and Noble, or log on to Amazon and buy yourself a copy. Not in the mood to purchase?  Visit the website http://myoneword.org/about/, which will give you enough information to get started without the book. Then, come back in a week and hear about my “One Word” and how it’s already changing my life. 

2 comments:

  1. My One Word remains one of the few things I think about daily. It has become a part of my attitude and perspective in every day life. Thanks for sharing Mike's message and encouraging others to begin the greatest jouney they'll ever take! Three previous services, led by Mike about My One Word, can be seen online at PC3's website for those of you wanting more...trust me when I say, you will!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Follow Me (Not literally- that'd be creepy!)