Wednesday, January 16, 2013

I Choose Faith


Recently a friend posted an article that, quite frankly, hit a nerve.  Perhaps it’s because I had only a couple hours of sleep from anxiety of a new semester, only enough time for one cup of coffee this morning instead of my usual three, or that my stomach was growling.  But it hit that nerve and my thoughts suddenly gushed out in the form of words which found their way on Facebook.  My friend, bless her heart, never saw it coming.  

I wasn’t mean in my post.  Nor did I attack her.  However, I did want to stand my ground, which had just been firmly pulled out from underneath of me.  My world, the one I had spent the past 14 years building (I became a follower at 16), was not only questioned but mocked.  Suddenly, the woman who is always quiet and poised became loud and heard.  (That’s the thing about us southern women; we can only hold our tongues for so long.)

Here is what I said (because one must always own what they say):

Of course, I would be the one that has to come up with a response to this post (which is in the works). However, just to touch on the end... we all believe in something. That something can be God or it can be nothing. Suggesting our beliefs should not be worn outside our homes and church is upsetting. Why should we not wear who we are when those who don't believe are always letting the world know exactly how they feel about God?  If those that don't believe in Him can discuss Him so freely, then why can't I?

To which her response was:

I think (without being able to go back and reread at this moment) that the point she's driving at is that we get criticized all the time for verbalizing our beliefs in nothing. We get told frequently that we're going to Hell, or that we're damming or children, or we're sinners, etc. it very rarely goes the other way. I would never criticize someone for their belief in God, but i do ask that those who believe keep their judgments to themselves. Talk about God all you want, but do not force him into my life or pass judgment onto me for not believing the same way.

Oh I should’ve had that second cup of coffee:

Sadly, it does go the other way. The entire article called us believers, liars. It was a rant that went on to tell us all that we have sold our kids on a lie, made fools of ourselves, and our children are the reason the world is the way it is. Though each are entitled to their own, I'm tired of hearing from non-believers that they are offended by the strength of our faith and the voice that does not shake. I do not pass judgment on you for the way you wish to raise your child, but please, do not pass judgment on us because we have chosen a different path.

She, also a big time caffeine fan, and probably having withdrawal, then said:

I totally disagree. She simply stated how she sees things. She did not call anyone out. She simply stated the other side of the coin. She never once said that anyone who believes in God is a liar, just that she cannot believe and these are her logical reasons why.

I've never EVER passed judgment on anyone who does believe, and certainly have never called anyone a liar, a fool, etc. But what I have heard, TO MY FACE, is that I'm evil, damning my child to an eternity of fire and brimstone, and that we deserve that. REALLY? Whether I believe in Heaven/Hell, God/Satan or not...is that something a so-called "good Christian" should say to another human being, regardless of religious belief?

I'm not offended by the strength of anyone's faith. I am offended when they say the things aforementioned. I am offended when they try to force my child to believe. (For example, when an adult told Maddie not to say "Oh my god!" because it was wrong to take HER lord's name in vain and she was committing a sin.) I am offended when they say I'm a bad person because I think differently than they do. You don't need to believe in god to be a good person, who serves others and teaches their child/ren to do the same. Atheists experience a different kind of religious persecution, the same as many Christians have throughout the years.

And… I threw in the towel.


Until now…
 

I respect this person.  She is an extremely talented professional photographer, an amazing mother to a spunky kiddo, and a phenomenal wife (I assume because I’ve never heard otherwiseJ).  I would consider her my friend (and hope she does as well and hasn’t bought a voodoo doll since I decided to open my mouth).  She also happens to be a nonbeliever who has chosen to raise her child without religion.  Hence, the reason she posted the article in the first place. 


I am an extremely talented napper, amazing mother to a thousand dust bunnies, and also a phenomenal wife (because he better not say otherwise).  I would consider myself her friend (and have NOT bought a voodoo doll because that would just be mean!).  I happen to be a believer who has chosen to follow and serve the Lord.  Hence, the reason I’ve posted this response to the original article:


I Choose Faith

I write this as Mumford & Son’s “I will Wait for You” plays loudly, bringing to life the words of my heart.  I remember the first time hearing the lyrics and the tears that flowed as I heard myself speaking to God through their song. 

“Well you forgave and I won’t forget.  So tame my flesh and fix my eyes…and I’ll kneel down and wait for now.  I’ll kneel down.  I will wait for you.” 

 I have heard this song a thousand times since and each time it gives me chills and brings me to tears.   I wonder how many others have heard this song and found themselves wondering where God fits in to their lives.  Perhaps they hear God speaking to them…

I will wait for you. 

Our God is patient.  He waits for each of us.  He waited 17 years for me.  And if he has to wait a lifetime for you, he will. 

Like a father, he waits for all of his children to come home.

Why do I believe this?

I believe because I can’t imagine living a life for no purpose other than to die.  If there is no Heaven or Hell, then why exist?  Why work so hard to leave a legacy for our children, if in the end, it won’t matter?  If there is no consequence for the life we lead and no reward for the path we’ve chosen, then why do believers (and nonbelievers) place so much emphasis on “doing what’s right”?  If, when our life is over there is nothing, then what harm is there to have spent a lifetime as a reflection of the love God has shown us?  I believe because to me, there is no other choice. 

And, when I have children, they will hear his words and know his love.  It will be up to them to make the decision as to whether to accept Christ in their hearts and follow a life of faith.  I will not make the choice for them.

And you?  If you have made a choice not to follow Christ, then my faith should not bother you; for you do not believe in such things as Heaven or Hell.  The cross that hangs around my neck should hold no meaning to you and therefore should be of no offense.  And when I say, “God bless you” when you sneeze, do not be angered for those words are of no value to you.   

But when you say…I want my children to be free not to believe and to know that our schools and our government will make decisions based on what is logical, just and fair—not on what they believe an imaginary God wants… understand that those terms can only be defined by right and wrong, which was established by God.

Still have doubts?  Read this!

2 comments:

  1. That is why this is an amazing place and time to be a human...we can each voice and hold strong to our belief (or lack thereof). I'm still proud to call you friend. No voodoo doll. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad we can both agree to disagree, then still meet for coffee and a good book! :)

    ReplyDelete

Follow Me (Not literally- that'd be creepy!)